Do I Cook?


Does toast and Eggo waffles count?

Cooking is work in progress. So is adulthood.

I started with chili in February. That actually wasn’t too bad when you eat it as leftovers over time. Tasted too much like tomatoes rather than a unique chili taste initially. Maybe it’s because I decided to cook the ground beef in a taco seasoning recipe I had from middle school.

March I made lasagna, twice. The first one I thought went well, but my mom wasn’t having it. She felt we needed to make one to redeem ourselves. So the second one was made and sure, there were improvements, but hey, lasagna is lasagna. It is delicious as long as it looks good.

May probably took the least amount of effort and I don’t even know if it counts as cooking. I wanted to make poutine, but this whole cheese curd thing in America seemed like an impossible task. So I swapped it with shredded mozzarella. I wasn’t in the mood to cook gravy either, so I just bought barbecue sauce. Then the fries, I didn’t even want to go through the whole peeling, cutting, and frying of the potatoes, so naturally (but not really), I went to the frozen section and bought some frozen fries. The end result was that it still tasted really good, despite none of it taking any real effort to make. I made it twice in one day. Lunch and dinner! That’s how good it was.

So for now, it’s just dishes that come into mind, rather than taking the whole responsibility of figuring out what to eat every day. At that point, I might as well just hit up Wendy’s every afternoon and evening.


Poutine in May. At least a mockery of it. Hi Canada. Love you.

Southwest Chicken Salad from Sarah Charles on Medium.