The Tinder Experiment

Source: www.gotinder.com

To start of a new beginning with this blog, I figured I'd try a little experiment with this app called "Tinder". Without knowing much about it, I assumed the basic function was that it gives you a list of people within a set radius of your location (which you set), and since it's based on your interests, you can either "swipe left", for no, or "swipe right", for yes. So I got that part right at least. What I didn't know was that it uses your information from Facebook, your profile picture, interests, etc. to find certain matches based on your location. So it's going to be a bit interesting to see how this experiment works.

So I mean, do we even really care about the matching interests of one another, or whether we have a common friend with that person? Or are we just going to judge a book by its cover and look at their 4-5 photos that they have posted. Also, the interests part isn't going to help with matches if no one actually "likes" pages on Facebook, which is where Tinder is basing your matches on.

So here's how the experiment is going to work:

Starting Sunday, November 2nd, I'll do 20 swipes. 10 in the morning, 10 at night. I'll record the number of left swipes and the number of right swipes. I'll also record any matches (if any) that come up during that time period. The experiment will end Saturday, November 8th, where I'll report my findings the next day.

Here's my profile criteria.



 These will be the photos I use in that particular order.

About: Computer programmer, runner, gamer. Overall, just trying to see where life takes me.
Radius: 25mi, so fairly local.
Ages: 20-25, acceptable range, I think, being 22 and all.

I don't have any overall expectations from this. I'm not looking for companionship or anything like that. Online dating is really a thing that interests me. I still think this Tinder thing is dumb, but would be fun to at least try something with it and form statistics. So, I'll see you next week with the results!



Comments