The Essence of the Boston Marathon

Earlier in the week was probably one of the most fun and inspiring days of my life. Being in Boston for the 115th Boston Marathon was truly extraordinary. Of course, as I mentioned in previous posts that I didn’t get to run it as planned, but being a volunteer there had its perks.

The atmosphere is amazing with millions of people ranging from runners, parents, friends, etc. just to see or complete the 26.2 mile trek. Unfortunately, I was nowhere near the race itself (I was a couple blocks down from the finish line giving out water to finishers walking back to see their family). Still, exciting for the most part.

Being a volunteer, it’s always nice to give the runners a smile just to show we’re appreciative that they took this challenge to run the marathon, and congratulate them after finishing since they’re feeling miserable after it. I give all these runners my kudos and utmost respect, because I want to run beside these people one day.

Other than that, I love the creativity some runners have! Some people ran in some of the most ridiculous costumes and finished the race. There was a caveman who ran barefoot. I mean, barefoot the 26.2 miles! Amazing feat. There were people dressed as hamburgers, one dressed as Elvis. I love the creativity. It really keeps the fun inside running. You’d definitely think these people were crazy for doing that, but in this environment of the marathon, you got to be open to anything.

Whether I’m running or volunteering next year, I’m hoping for the same excitement as I had from this year. Maybe next time I’ll actually see some people running!





Comments