Time to Reload


I’ve been blogging since 2009 I guess. On and off a few topics here and there about life, life values, running, video games, suffering through college, the whole nine yards. No series of writing as consistent as what I’ve been doing lately.

May 2016 to April 2017.  What does that mean? It’s an 11 month journey of different bits of writing. 55 bits to be precise. This would be 56, if I decided to count it.

It was a test of consistency and to see what kind of audience would be interested in the types of writings I produced. Definitely a good experiment with so many lessons learned from it. My brain is one of the most fascinating things to me and by writing 55 posts over the course 11 months just to see what it could come up with was exhilarating, to say the least.

They stemmed mostly from life experiences because who doesn’t want to read about what someone thinks of their own life? It’s way better than reading someone’s opinion on politics or the state of the U.S. economy, but that’s my opinion. It is just statistically, topics that could draw from my life experience or thoughts drew in the most readers. Anything else drew less, or none.

What types of life experiences are we talking about? Well, if you’ve frequently kept up with my blog, you’d know they were more negative than positive or neutral life topics. More dry humor to go along with that negativity. Not that they were cries for attention because this is the internet, they’ll know when you’re desperate. I write mainly to get the thoughts in my brain out and when I share it, the people who read them are the ones who want to read them.

I’ve written about so many things that I’ve learned what I like to write about and what I don’t. I think it can be easily seen what pieces of writing was forced, basically making my brain think of things that it really didn’t care about and as a result, a very short, disorganized piece. I know what you’re thinking, it could so easy to just scrap something like that from existence. Why share it? Well you never know if a piece of shit writing could still draw an audience. It’s about trial and error. Just like life.

So what’s next for little ol’ me? Well, a break is definitely needed for my brain to recharge. Think of more interesting topics to write about. While it’s great not having a hard deadline to post stuff (because let’s be real, my audience isn’t that big), consistency is the key to, well, consistent writing. I think it’s important to have a backlog of topics so that you can write them all out in multiple sessions, then tweak them when it’s almost time to shove them out the door. That way it’s more or less scheduled until your next break. I don’t have to think about scheduling for a while. Until I feel comfortable I have a good amount of topics.

So if you’ve read stuff over the course of 11 months, thanks for stopping by. I hope you come back when I start up again. Feel free to reread some things or read something you haven’t. If you haven’t read anything, well, you’re probably not even reading this right now so I’m basically talking to a wall. Go read something. Reading is good. Knowledge is power.

Also, LinkedIn is basically the worst place to post your own blog. Literally no one will click your link. I’ve seen the metrics. I’ve had like, 2 clicks being sourced from LinkedIn. People on LinkedIn only care about writings that are directly posted on LinkedIn. You’re shit. People are trying to expand their internet presence on multiple platforms and no one wants to click the link. Maybe that’s not a LinkedIn problem, but more a people problem. I guess people on LinkedIn suck, myself included.