Back Behind the Scenes

Photo by Kyle Loftus from Pexels
As a kid, I craved attention. I looked different for starters. I liked things that weren’t considered “cool”, therefore, I was cast aside. I always looked for ways to be with the majority crowd.

As I got older and wiser, it stopped becoming a priority in all aspects of my life. When I do have the spotlight, I try to divert it elsewhere. I don’t want it and I guess I kind of don’t like it either. What a turnaround for me.

Recent events have allowed me to realize how much I appreciate not being in the limelight. I don’t have to be “the face” or “the guy”. I don’t have to have all the answers anymore. I can work at my own pace and not be responsible for things I don’t want to be responsible for. While the learning experience was good, I’d like to apply in places other than a leadership-like position. Learning is good. Knowledge is power.

I don’t work for recognition. Seems like a wrong reason to be working at all. I let the work, the motivation, the personality speak for itself. The ones who want to be in the spotlight can have it, as long as I can be behind the curtains, doing what I do best. I’m just not a big fan of praise when it’s directed towards me. Makes me uncomfortable. I don’t feel I deserve it.

Can I go back and hide now?