Does Facebook Ever Make Me Feel Bad?


Absolutely.

I’ve probably mentioned it many times, but Facebook is basically a competition to see who has the best life amongst their friends and family. Everyone (myself included) crafts their posts in order to fish for those Facebook reactions everyone know and loves. They might even know they’re doing it. Their life, compared to mine, looking at it on Facebook, surely makes me feel bad. It makes me questions whether what I’m doing is truly fulfilling me. I’d like to think it does, but there’s always that one post that makes me wonder why the Facebook masses isn’t crawling to my post about life and dropping some “haha” Facebook reactions.

It’s a weird effect because I LOVE seeing posts about my friends’ lives. Facebook seems like it’s the only place right now to see that kind of stuff. Despite the love, there’s always that dark side that creeps in, trying to make my life feel so inferior to others. A strange and emotional double-edged sword. Life updates are all I really want to see. So all the political, current event stuff can just stay away. I can’t be swayed. I can’t be made attentive to something. Show me a picture of a cute baby in your family. Show me your everlasting smile and sparkling eyes doing something really cool. I may throw a “like” there. Maybe even a “love” if I’m really feeling the emotions. I’ll feel bad about myself, but I’ll feel awesome for you. Or feel awesome for your dog or cat.