A Series of Notes Summarizing...

I felt it was time to start a new project.

In order to enrich myself with the vast knowledge of subjects in the field I work in, I needed to continue learning in a form where learning could still be interesting and not stressful.

It's still reading, with pen and paper at hand, but at least it's on my own pace an leisure. I call it "A Series of Notes Summarizing...".

We all remember Cliffnotes or Sparknotes, when you have to look up chapter summaries because you didn't read the book on time. I formed my notes to be more or less the same, but it's something that goes hand and hand with the book your reading, rather than its own entity.

I read a book and I can consume the knowledge then, but will I remember it months later when I need it? I don't want to flip around the book searching for a specific piece on a specific page. My notes will do that for me. It's organized the way the book's organized, with the information you need right where you want it to be.

I started a test run by reading "Bootstrap" by Jake Spurlock, to see if I could actually do something like this. Turns out I can and I want to expand on it. This book is old and has old concepts that are most likely deprecated now, but it was a good test that I could read a book, take notes on it, and produce something that looks organized for myself and possibly others to use. It's time consuming, yes, but at least it's time I want to invest.

You can see the notes in the link below and I hope to expand on some other topics. I'm currently moving on to Perl. Learning is forever. Just pick something you're interested in and go with it. Just make sure you remember it.

A Series of Notes Summarizing Bootstrap by Jake Spurlock

Comments