The Social Networking Hype


This topic was inspired, surprisingly, from an assignment I had to write about in College Writing. It really got me thinking, “What’s the hype about social networking”? I mean there are millions and dare I say billions of people who are on different types of social networking sites. They can range from Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Blogger, and whatever ones are going around now. We live in a large part of the technology age where we’re allowed to keep in touch with people through the internet. It’s crazy.

Has it changed us though? Instead of getting together and talking with your friends every day, most days are spent on instant messaging or blog posts for wall comments. Our form of communication is rapidly changing. I guess you could say Skype and ooVoo are the ones trying to keep it real with their video chats.

What do we use it for other than keeping in touch with friends? I guess some like to “creep” on celebrities using it, try to send a message about a certain local/world issue, or try to get some online fame themselves. I don’t know. To describe some social networks, I quote a friend of mine. “Myspace is for creeping on 14 year olds, Facebook is to creep on your friends, and Twitter is to creep on celebrities”. I guess basically we’re all creeping no matter what we use.

No matter what you use, keep doin’ what you doin’. Keep in touch with family and friends from all over the globe. That’s never a bad thing.

Comments