A Year in Perspective


4:50.87 - Well that was a good race!

As the New Year slowly approaches, I figure I’d try to put one last post to 2010 in the books. Basically I’m trying to put all my thoughts into words as to what has become a large impact this year. Anyone can say their year was awesome or a disaster. I feel that for most people, including myself, it’s more of a roller coaster rather than one trend. I suppose I’ll try my best to write out every detail going in my head.
2010 has been pretty interesting so far. Beginning as a very nerve-racking couple of months with expecting college letters and filling out financial aid forms and such. All that and being a high school senior was never really a fun time. It was very exciting to hear from the colleges that responded, but a much unexpected reaction upon reading the letters. I went through a streak of waitlists and deferrals with colleges I had believed were in reach in terms of acceptance, but I guess that wasn’t the case. Then again, being accepted to the other ones were ok too I suppose. In the end, I guess I can only be fortunate that I’m in college, even if it’s not the one I expected to be in. Plans to transfer? Definitely possible if the sufficient funds are available. If not, I’ll have to wait for the dream school as a graduate student (if I make it that far).
Now senior year of high school as I mentioned was a very stressful task one might say. College applications, final projects, term papers, guidance counselor appointments, and sports were all somewhat involved in a senior’s typical year. All that to prepare us into the real world. I’m not really sure how prepared are we for the real world after high school, but I guess we are. Graduating feels liberating. You’re free from being barred in a school building for 6 hours of education, and now being able to explore other places and have classes at the time of your choice. Your schedule belongs to you. I’m glad high school is over. It wasn’t really the best time anyway. I did skip senior prom. I don’t really regret that, but others may say otherwise. The all night grad party was a good time. Relay for Life was exciting. That’s all I really have to say for high school.
I move on to college, which I mentioned earlier, isn’t the college I expected to be at. I said to myself, “Hey, I’m lucky enough to make it somewhere, so I got to make the best of it”. Indeed I did. I studied, worked out, met new people, etc. All what’s good for college. I guess the only thing that gets to me in the campus itself. It’s not something I picture myself in. I guess I have high standards for campus life. I like the recreation center the best. I guess that insults every other building. Transferring is in question as long as money isn’t an issue. This place was fortunate enough to give me money to go here, so I guess I got to be grateful for that. Overall college is good. I’m still having fun despite where I end up.
I’m a big track guy. People in high school know about it, people in college know about it. I loved everything about it from the workouts to the fun facts, to the shoes (especially the shoes). A lot of people didn’t like me for it I guess, but then again, I was pretty useful when it came to large amounts of information. I worked hard at practice, and I was having a lot of fun at the same time. I believe that you can’t truly be successful in something just by working hard on it. You got to love what you’re doing at the same time, and have fun with it. Worked hard all my high school career just to be a state qualifier, and I did that, with the help of a large crowd. That was fun, and I’d give anything to lace up some spikes and get back into the oval if it weren’t for one little problem.
I’m not going to go into it much since I wrote a previous post about it, but to make it short, I’m injured. It’s going to take a long time to heal, and I don’t know if college track is in my future so far. My marathon plans were ruined, so for now I’m sticking as being manager at my college just to keep my track knowledge expanding. It’s still a lot of fun and I get to work in the coaching perspective of the sport this time.
I guess if there’s one thing I can take from this year, it’s that, you can’t always get what you want. There’s always hope to get to your goals, but don’t push your luck. Seriously. All in all, 2011 is open for more and more interpretation. Enjoy the New Year!

Comments