Big Update

Well, as promised, I decided to put up another post. It’s been a while since I was able to get my thoughts outs, so it’s good to get it all in here. It’s been a crazy month, and it’s only going to get crazier. The semester is almost over, finals are approaching, and winter break is just around the corner. Also, I even landed a job for the break. I’m a bit shocked myself. Go working class!

As a running update, nothing has really changed so far in my training. I’m still taking it one step at a time and upping my mileage at a slow pace. Some days I can really feel some improvement, some not so much. As long as I maintain a high level of discipline, I get where I want to be. I’m surprised I’ve been this patient because I really want to get out and get into some competitions. The shin pain is on and off, but definitely a lot better than it was a year ago. If I keep doing the exercises and stretches, it won’t be so bad.

The college track season kicked off today at the Reggie Lewis Track & Athletic Center. It was great to be back despite being a spectator. It’s always a fun time and gives be a nostalgic feeling. The team had a kickoff banquet last night and I made this video for it. I’ve probably been tooting my own horn about this video for the past 24 hours, but it’s not for my own personal glory. It’s purposeful to give athletes the memory of what they did last year, and get them pumped up for this year. It also kind of summarizes the season for parents who didn’t go to any meet last year. It also gets them pumped for the season. It’s also a great recruiting tool for the coaches. What can I say? I enjoy my job. The video is below.

At the meet today I got to speak to an old teammate who I grew to admire over time of watching him compete. Competing as a post-collegiate athlete, it was great to hear about the mental decisions he had to make in order to come back into competition. The discipline he needed to get out every night after work and practice for a few hours to improve the little things in his mechanics is phenomenal. It really gets me fired up to compete again. I find him and me to be alike in some ways. We both love this sport and enjoy the hard work and fun times that go into everything. And at the end of the day, whether we do well or not, as long as we’re having fun doing what we love, well then that’s all that matters. It’s not very often I find someone to talk to about all this. It’s great.

That’s my month long update, I suppose. I guess I could write something after finals, or right before Christmas. Thanks for reading for those who actually read this.

Comments